[BlueOnyx:12806] Re: OT: Backup MX

Dogsbody dan at dogsbody.org
Thu Apr 11 05:59:57 -05 2013

On 10/04/13 20:39, Richard Morgan wrote:
> We've installed BX on a VPS run by a third party that's dirt cheap
> (8USD/month) and it's deliberately configured not to have any email security
> for SPAM, etc.  This was is catches the occasional message but is
> particularly useful for also providing backup MX to a client's Windows
> servers (which seem to need weekly reboots, etc).

Hi Richard,

If you haven’t configured any email security on the backup MX then do
you know if you are you seeing a larger amount of spam?

Around 60% of the spam I am seeing is purposefully sent to the backup MX
server which they then hope is forwarded on to the primary mailserver
from a "clean" IP address.

To be effective I feel that the backup MX servers needs to have exactly
the same protection as the primary mailserver including knowing which
users are valid and which to reject.

Dan