[BlueOnyx:12869] Renaming user accounts

Eric Peabody admin at bnserve.com
Wed Apr 17 07:55:27 -05 2013

Some user accounts are named with common names found in dictionaries and
these are more likely to be affected by password guessing attacks.  We
would like to rename such user accounts and would like to know the best
method for doing so since the UI doesn't support this action on a
5106R.  Usually I would just edit /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow and rename
the home directory but in BlueOnyx the symbolic link and its target need
to be renamed.  And the virtusertable needs to be updated.  That's
obvious, but what about the object store?

Running cceclient and entering, "find User name='xxx' it returns the
object id and "get <id>" displays the values stored for that user.  Then
entering "set <oid> name="new_name" looks like it does the trick, but
can someone please confirm this is the correct way to do this?  Is there
anything else to do?

Or is it recommended to create a second account, copy the data from the
old home directory to the new?  That might be simpler in the end.

Thanks,
Eric Peabody