[BlueOnyx:12868] Re: Changing network configuration in virtualization of server

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Apr 17 05:42:08 -05 2013

On 4/17/2013 5:25 AM, Manuel Bona Perez wrote:
> We have a problem, we migrated a BlueOnyx-5108R SL 6.2 installed on a
> physical machine to a virtual machine with vmware.

The current version of VMware Standalone Converter is unable to process
RHEL6 (and clones).

> To make the migration, the vmconverter failed and had to make a new
> install of the system BlueOnyx-5108R SL6.2, in a virtual machine and
> copy the folders: Root, tmp, var and home
>
> When starting the new machine had 4 NICs, 2 of the old machine with his
> mac address and 2 of the new virtual machine with his mac address, the
> issue is that the server does not respond over network because it had
> the old mac.
>
> We need to migrate several servers and would need to know:
> What would be the easiest way to connect to the old configuration of the
> 2 network cards to the new network cards (reassign the new mac)?

If you are migrating many RHEL6-based systems, I highly recommend
Aventurin{e} as an alternative to VMWare.

Edit the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

You will see lines that look something like this:
# PCI device 0x8086:0x1096 (e1000e)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
ATTR{address}=="00:15:17:22:6a:3c", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*",
NAME="eth0"

# PCI device 0x8086:0x1096 (e1000e)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
ATTR{address}=="00:15:17:22:6a:3d", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*",
NAME="eth1"

Comment all the lines.

Reboot the guest.

Now udev will scan on reboot and should bring up your interfaces.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services