[BlueOnyx:12887] Re: Server hardware

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Apr 18 16:12:21 -05 2013

On 4/18/2013 4:00 PM, Gerald Waugh wrote:
> An acquaintance  of mine is interested in a high power server.
> two quad-core Xeon processors, 12GB RAM, two 2TB hard drives.
> Is this kind of hardware compatible and beneficial for BlueOnyx.
>
> I felt like it may be overkill.

Whether or not it is overkill depends largely on the intended
application.   We do have customers running on similar, and larger,
systems for BlueOnyx purposes.

For our own shared hosting servers, we use 1x quad-core proc, 8GB RAM
and 1TB or 2TB drives.  When we outgrow those resources, we toss on
another box.   Then again, we've got 10,000 square feet to play with.
Some folks may be watching their RU's very carefully.

FWIW, the specs you mention sound like something that we'd be offering
in the neighborhood of about $140/mo on a leased basis.  Obviously, we
have a lot of customers doing good business on servers costing FAR less
per month!  I can think of one customer in particular that is pushing a
fairly steady 10Mbps on a dedicated 5108R server supporting a single
website. They get a BUNCH of traffic, and the whole site is a MySQL/PHP
thing.  The box is a dual-core Pentium D with 4GB RAM.

I suppose it really comes down to what the customer wants, but if I were
wearing the consulting hat and without knowing more information, I would
probably advise starting with a little less box than what your
acquaintance is asking for.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services