[BlueOnyx:12892] Re: Server hardware

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Apr 19 00:38:22 -05 2013

Hi Dave,

> And/or putting static content on a couple of mirrored SSDs that have a
> high IOPS capacity can really move things along.

In theory a good idea. But on Linux I won't touch SSDs with a ten foot
pole. At least I wouldn't store anything important on them.

Granted, my experience with them was two years ago. However, it wasn't
some junk, but the best large consumer SSDs that were available by then.
However, they burned out within days while plugged into a RAID card in
an SSD only environment that was powering a large MySQL server. With
large I mean pretty damn large. :o)

SSDs are only good for so and so many write cycles. On Windows the SSD
makers cheat with drivers that bundle write requests to slow down the
wear and tear. On Linux they can't do that.

Then with the swap partition and some other heavy duty partition on an
SSD things went pretty interesting real quick.