[BlueOnyx:12898] iptables restart with rules

Richard Morgan richard at morgan-web.co.uk
Mon Apr 22 07:29:48 -05 2013

For some reason we were locked out out our box this morning and iptables was showing our IP.  To solve the problem quickly I simply ran:

service iptables restart

The problem was solved although I was a little surprised to find this didn't load any rules at all - it started and is running but iptables -L -n shows it'll accept pretty much anything.

What restart command is used to start iptables with the standard rules/chains in place?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, so any help would be great.

Thanks, Richard