[BlueOnyx:12152] Re: Increasing disk space

Christoph Schneeberger cschnee at box.telemedia.ch
Mon Feb 4 13:16:04 -05 2013

Dirk and Mark,

Unfortunately I have no physical BO so I don't know the exact volume
names, check with lvdisplay and vgdisplay respectively.

Given your new disk is /dev/sdb and the LVM volume you want to grow is
home from the LVM volume group VolGroup00, the procedure would be about
as follows:
(Before you start, make sure you check all my instructions below against
the LVM Howto at http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html, I have
typed this from the top of my head and I take no responsibility if you
nullify your volumes by following these instructions!)

1. Create a partition sdb1 on /dev/sdb with your favourite fdisk tool,
make it type LVM (8e).
2. Prepare the disk for LVM with pvcreate /dev/sdb1
3. Add it to the volume group you identified before with
vgdisplay/lvdisplay with: vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/sdb1
4. Add some space to the logical volume now that it is available to the
volume group: lvextend -L+100G /dev/VolGroup00/home (or whatever you
identified as your volume for home with lvdisplay)
   IIRC, you can add all free space in the volume group to the volume
with something like:
   lvextend -l+100%FREE /dev/VolGroup00/home
5. Resize filesystem (if extX, either unmounted or mounted, check the
recommendations for online resizing for your filesystem at
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.html): resize2fs
/dev/VolGroup00/home

After the last step a 'df -h' should show you your additional space.

Note: I have online resized a lot of busy ext3 volumes, however the
Howto recommends against it (or only against resizing ext2 fs - this is
unclear to me). If you can afford the down time, unmount and ev. check
the filesystem before resizing it.

Hth,
Christoph