[BlueOnyx:12288] Re: Server lose network connection

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sun Feb 24 12:46:31 -05 2013

On 2/24/2013 11:32 AM, Roy Urick wrote:
> I've been told by at least one of my vendors that hyperv doesn't support Linux properly if at all. (Or maybe just Ubuntu)
>
> We wanted to cheap out to put a KACE K2000 vm on all 20 of our remote site servers using the built in hyperv host but had to pay for VMware because hyperv is so windows centric.

At the risk of straying OT, the platform choice depends on the
application.   If I'm putting in a box with several BlueOnyx hosts on
it, then for me Aventurin{e} is really the only way to go.   The
interface is familiar, the features are all there, and it "just works".

In a mixed environment, I'm all over VMware ESXi.  So far the only thing
I've found that hasn't migrated across to it properly is an old FC5 box
running a goofy customer application.   (To clarify, the application is
goofy, I like the customer just fine.)   But any version of Windows,
*nix, *BSD that I've tried has been fine.

That said, I know that now Aventurin{e} supports KVM virtualization,
which may be rather compelling...

My limited experience with HyperV has been a disappointment, to be kind.
  I know I have colocation customers using it, and some of them are
using it because they think they have to in order to run Windows <sigh>
or because they're afraid to stray outside the Windows environment, and
others for various and potentially legitimate reasons.  Based on my
experience, I can't think of any reason to be shackled to it.  To be
fair, my experience was some time ago with an early release.  Perhaps
things have improved.

Back to the OP's issue at hand, my instinct says look at the network
configuration on the hypervisor.  My guess is you'll find something out
of whack there.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services