[BlueOnyx:12308] Re: Server lose network connection

Jason Ozin bluquartz at ozin.com
Tue Feb 26 18:25:03 -05 2013

Hi Lew

I run 6 different Linux hosts on Hyper-V. It works fine if you know what to do.

Don’t panic. I think I know what this is.

As you are virtualised using Hyper-V and you recently did a yum update. The new kernel cannot see your disks properly.

The quick fix is to reboot, hit a key to get to the boot menu and select an earlier kernel.

The next fix is to edit both:

/boot/grub/grub.conf

/etc/grub.conf

And make the working kernel the default.

Then once you are stable look at post 11567 and 11643 in this list for the way to make the new kernel behave.

However I wouldn’t bother with this last bit as there is better news:

Already released Kernel 5.9 (and 6.4 which is due out any day) has proper built in support for Hyper-V

So wait for 6.4 and then all you need to do is:

Boot into the old kernel

Remove the old Hyper-V components as follows:

Execute the following steps in the bash shell.

1. First, execute:

rpm –qa | grep microsoft

Example:

On a RHEL 5.8 system, you will see the following:

# rpm –qa | grep microsoft

kmod-microsoft-hyper-v-3.4-1.20120727

microsoft-hyper-v-3.4.20120727

2. Next, execute:

rpm –e microsoft-hyper-v-<version string from step 1> kmod-microsoft-hyper-v-<version string from step 1>

            Then reboot into the new kernel

You can then add a NON-LEGACY network card and have a nuch faster network stack. Give the new card the same Virtual MAC as the old card and there are no config changes needed either.

Jason Ozin