[BlueOnyx:13168] Re: Digital Ocean and BlueOnyx

Carl E. Hartung carlh04426 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 22:54:41 -05 2013

On Sat, 1 Jun 2013 22:57:47 -0400
Jeffrey Garruba wrote:

> I've been using BO as a development server for some time now and now
> feel confident about running in a production environment. However the
> cloud service I choose called Digital Ocean does not allow me to do
> an install from an ISO. Yes I've tried the Tar ball installer which
> works fine on virtual box. However the cloud provider does not allow
> me to manually partition the cloud instance. Instead the minimal
> centos install they have sets up on only one partition for the
> instance.
>
> This poses a problem for BO as it seems to require a specialized
> partition setup. what I would like to know is if there is away around
> this?

Hi Jeffrey,

Save yourself a lot of unnecessary trouble and expense. First, I've
read critiques elsewhere describing Digital Ocean's overly competitive
pricing as a recipe for disaster in the medium to long term, either for
the company, financially, or for it's customers, who can never all
receive anything close to what is being promised for the price being
charged. There is no such thing as a free lunch in this business so
somebody's going to be left holding the bag (sans lunch.)

>From another perspective, jumping out of the gate with your first
production environment is the wrong time and place to be implementing
fundamental changes. It's really the time to be adhering to the
original design scheme -- for support, if you should need it, and for
your own success if you count 'continuing education' to be a part of
that. (I personally do because I've never stopped learning and I've been
working in the computer industry, now, for almost three decades.)

I honestly think your question here ought to be more along the lines
of 'Who here can help me get my first production BO environment up and
running reliably at a reasonable cost?' Whomever you pick won't be
asking you to alter the default partitioning scheme. You'll also have a
much more realistic picture of what a proper production environment
really costs to operate. And, most importantly, you won't end up
spending all your time on answering chronic customer complaints due to
unacceptable service levels.

Just my 2 cents & YMMV,

Carl