[BlueOnyx:13195] Re: mailman

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Fri Jun 7 11:31:03 -05 2013

> I have an issue that has just started with one of my mailing lists but may be more.
> Everything that is being posted to this list is now needing to be moderated even though it is set to all users can post.
>
> I receive the following bounce.
>
> Your mail to 'list' with the subject
>
>     test

> The reason it is being held:
>
>     Post by non-member to a members-only list
>
> Either the message will get posted to the list, or you will receive notification of the moderator's decision.  If you would like to cancel this posting, please visit the following URL:
>
> I have tried to recreate the list but this is still happening, how can I force these to be approved at all times.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stuart

Stuart,

Your test message was sent to the list with a "FROM" address that is not a member of the list.  That's why the bounce said "Post by non-member to a members-only list".  That is how Mailman saves us from SPAM - only allowing e-mail addresses that are a member of the list to send a message to that list.

Try sending a test message to the list from one of the addresses that are members of that list - and see if that works.  If they ARE still being held for moderation - that's a problem I similarly had a few months ago.  In my case, I went into the setting page and changed the "Posting Policy" to "Moderator Confirms All Messages", saved, and then put it back to "Only Subscribers Can Post Messages", and saved.  After that - it started working OK.

On a related note - I had some problems a while back with members unable to post to the list.  In their case, they didn't always have the exact specific list name in the address field.  They had the right address, but not always the right name attached.  And Mailman would not process the message.  I found in the "Privacy Options", under "Recipient filters" - there is a setting "Must posts have list named in destination" that defaults to YES.  I set it to no and those problems went away.  Try that if nothing else helps.

Chuck