[BlueOnyx:13980] Re: ban or jail <may be forged> messages

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Mon Nov 4 04:24:11 -05 2013

On 11/03/2013 06:03 PM, wcstaff at webcoast.com wrote:
> I know this is an arguable scenario, but I am sick of the spam getting
> through that is <may be forged>.
> It seems like spammers are figuring ways to forge and get around blocks.
> I have recently found IP addresses that I force blocked, skating through on
> a <may be forged>.
> I read where some settings can be added to fail2ban that will reject these
> emails. I tried adding them and it did not help.
> I was also reading that Sendmail 8.4 has the feature
> "FEATURE(`require_rdns')dnl", than can be enable or disabled.
> My question is how do I turn on and off this feature? I looked in
> sendmail.mc and "FEATURE(`require_rdns')dnl" does not exist.
> Thanks
> Tom
We have used that feature in sendmail.mc.
there  are a number of FEATURE() items around line 70.
We added after the last item, ran make and service sendmail restart.
75   FEATURE(use_ct_file)dnl
76   FEATURE(require_rdns)dnl
Some email servers are poorly maintained and do not have a PTR record
and they will be blocked, and their/your users may be unhappy.

Gerald