[BlueOnyx:14028] Re: Problem setting interface alias netmask to 255.255.255.255

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Wed Nov 13 13:37:17 -05 2013

Chris,

I suspect his server is set up the same way as a number of servers I manage.

There is a route-able IP on the main server interface, and all the virtuals are on IPs in a different network.  So the 255.255.255.255 netmask is valid for the virtuals.  The server knows to send all traffic to its default gateway router.  And the router has to be told to send traffic destined for the virtual IPs to the main server IP.

This is what happens when you have the main IP for the server in a different network as the virtual site IPs.

There is a possibility that his main server IP and the virtuals are in the same /24 network, just not consecutive.  In that case, the 255.255.255.0 netmask is valid - and his ISP is simply trying to cut down on the amount of broadcast traffic.  And if that's the case - I agree with your opinion - tough shit!  They created the problem, they should fix it.

Chuck