[BlueOnyx:13780] Re: WEB Alias problems

wcstaff at webcoast.com wcstaff at webcoast.com
Tue Oct 1 15:17:34 -05 2013

Chris,
Chris Thank you for help. Unfortunately I'm on my own here, this is my own
box and I'm smart enough to be dangerous.. So I read a lot then ask.

>Hi Tom,
>My gosh... this certainly sounds like you have a lot of issues right
>now.   Have you checked with your provider for some support/help on
>this?   It may be a bit more involved than the list is going to be able
>to walk you through.   But here's a best attempt.

>> First let me say that this server is a migration from CentOS/Blue
>> Quartz to Scientific Linux/Blue Onyx 5108R-SL 6.4
>>
>>I'm having a problem with WEB Aliases not working correctly.
>>
>> It makes no difference if Webserver Aliases is checked or not. When I
>>click on domain.com, it redirects to another main website. When I go
>>to www.mydomain.com <http://www.mydomain.com> it will bring up the
website.
>>This does not happen on all websites. And it is no particular website
>> with certain configurations. All domains are registered with Go Daddy
>>and everything looks fine there.

>This could be an issue with how CMU worked for you (especially depending on
differences between versions... old BlueQuartz boxes may have had very old
versioning, and of course it >has been impossible to YUM them for quite some
time now.

>What you may wish to try is from the BlueOnyx GUI, click to edit the
>site that is giving you a problem.   In the Services > Web settings,
>remove anything that is in the Web Server Aliases field, click Save, then
after it is done saving, put the content that should be in Web Server
Aliases back, click Save again.

>After clearing out your browser cache, try pulling up with just the domain
again and it should work.

I read one of your earlier posts mentioning this and I earlier tried to edit
the site that is giving you a problem.   In the Services Web settings, I
removed anything that is in the Web Server Aliases field, clicked Save, then
put the content that should be in Web Server Aliases back, click Save again.
I also manually edited the /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/site# files and looked for
missing alias entries. Some were missing on certain domains and others were
all there. Strangely some that had missing alias entries worked fine, while
other that had all the alias entries listed would not redirect to the proper
www.website.

>> If I change my ip address for mail.mydomain. mail completely stops to
>> and from the outside world. I've waited for 3 days to see if mail
>> started to send and receive with no luck. When I go to

>I'm unclear on this.   Is the IP address for the mail. hostname assigned
>to your server?   What kinds of errors are you getting?   Can you be
>more specific?

Yes it is one of the IP addresses assigned to my server and I can reach the
server using it. The IP is also reachable from outside my NET. I have "A"
records set correctly for mydomain.com and mail.mydomain.com. I have an mx
record set for the mail.mydomain.com. The thing is I get no error messages
at all. The mail server is functioning fine. However all incoming mail stops
being received by all users and any mail I send shows sent, but the
receiving party never sees it. I tested it with a couple of the mx tester
websites and it can never be reached. Today when I put the ip back to the
original ip address the mail started to flow in about 30 minutes and I
received a ton of undeliverable error messages.

>> I don't trust the GUI anymore as things are not working. It was working
>> on initial install and migration. Then I performed a YUM Update and
>> certain items malfunction.
>>
> >for instance:
>>
>>1.I've installed blacklists on the GUI under email, but they don't seem
>>to do anything. I get the same spam with or without them

>That's not necessarily an indicator the RBLs are not working - just that
>the email that's hitting your box isn't coming from blacklisted IPs.

I guess my statement was harsh. I should have said I have some doubts. The
reason I mentioned it is because the spam has increased. I was using a
mailscanner setup on the last box. But I saw I could add them in the GUI
under email. So I thought I'd give it a try. Maybe it has something to do
with the GUI false reports. Where would I look in the shell to see these
addons?

>>2.The Mailman AdminInterface does nothing under Mailman

>This is a duplicated issue.  You can reach your Mailman interface at
>http://yourhostname/mailman/admin

Thanks it works

>> 3.The Save button and Interface Aliases tab don't work under System
>>Settings/TCP/IP and the info posted is incorrect, including domain
>>servers, mac addresses and ethx settings

 >From the CLI, have you done a "service cced.init restart"?

I tried "service cced.init restart" as soon as I received your reply.
Unfortunately no change. The button is still unresponsive.

>There have been reports under all versions of BlueOnyx that the Server
>Management > System Settings > TCP/IP page is flawed.   If you need to
>reset the main IP on the server, I advise to use the CLI script at
>/root/network_settings.sh

I also previously used the scripts to perform first start advance network
settings and did  /root/network_settings.sh. This was how I got the box up
and running after the yum update.

>>4.Information under System Settings displays the wrong Primary and
>>Secondary mac addresses.

>That's something I've never encountered.   Have you changed NICs since
>installing BlueOnyx?

You hit the NIC problem right on. Initially I had 2 NICs installed in my
temporary setup/migration server. I removed the 2 drives and moved them to
my primary (same motherboard, faster processor, more ram) server. That
server has 1 NIC on the motherboard. I used one from the setup server. Once
everything was running flawlessly, I then installed 2 more and assigned 2
more static IPs, for a total of 4. Because the problem started after the
extra 2 NICs installed, I removed them. The problem was not fixed. The I
used the first start and the network scripts to manually change the ip
addresses. So I'll either live dangerously and re-install the 2 NICs or
remove the entries. I'd prefer the re-install.

>> 5.Under WEB Applications, Test MySQL Credentials fails no matter what I
do

>Do you mean under Server Management > Network Services > MySQL?   Have
>you changed the password for MySQL root user?   If so, be sure to put it
>in correctly.   You may need to use the Change Password tab.   If you
>have imported the MySQL full dump from the old box, that may have
>changed your root password to whatever it was on the old box.   Try
>restarting MySQL and then ensuring your correct password is in the GUI
>config.    If all else fails, do a manual reset via CLI of the MySQL
>root password.

Actually I meant WebApplications / Setup SQL. When I click Test MySQL
Credentials, it fails. My password is set correctly. I do see under Network
Services / MySQL / MySQL Status, there is a message: "MySQL cannot be
established. Check settings."

>> 6.API always reports "you're not doing this right" no matter what
>>settings I use

>Can you be more specific?   I've not seen the "you're not doing this
>right" message.    VIRTBIZ was the first application for the BlueOnyx
>API and we have been successfully using it on our 5108R systems.   What
>exactly is happening that is causing you to see an error?

It states in the documentation that when typing
.https://<server-ip>:81/base/api/index.php in your browser if something is
wrong, the only message you will receive is "you're not doing this right". I
type https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:81/base/api/index.php and get the message. I
think it has something to do with https settings. I've never used them.

>> 7.Under Active Monitor/Network Status, it reports eth2 and eth3
>> malfunctioning. There is no ethy2 or eth3

>It looks to me like this is related to #4 above.  I suspect you have
>changed your NIC configuration somehow.   You may need to remove the NIC
>configs (hw addresses) from udev and then reload udev (or reboot).

Yes, I just need to know where to go to fix all this. There are so many
linked files, I was afraid to edit any.

>> That's all I can find right now. I'm hoping to at least het the GUI
>> repaired if possible.

>It doesn't look to me like the GUI is borked, but maybe just a bit of a
>miscommunication between system and user.   Again, if you're having a
>great deal of trouble, hopefully you have a provider that is proficient
>with BlueOnyx and can help you out of a jam.  If not, like I say, I'm
>sure we'll do our best here for you.

LOL, you are probably right. My expertise is in hardware, not software. All
I can say is I'm trying and never experiment out of my element, without
seeking help.

Chris Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. And I apologize if
there are many same posts from me. When I didn't receive my copy to the
list, I resent the message a few times.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services