[BlueOnyx:13922] Re: slow network auth response

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Oct 25 11:04:59 -05 2013

On 10/25/2013 10:51 AM, Roy Urick wrote:
> Yep. that was it. While it worked for MONTHS in the current config, the
> OpenDNS servers I was using as primary are now causing the issue. I can
> resolve from the shell lightning fast, but something about what the
> system is doing  under the hood during a login was choking.
>
> I put the localhost IP at the top of the pile and suddenly its only
> taking 6 seconds to give me a prompt. MUCH faster.

It's possible you're just not getting good lookups from the 3rd party
DNS servers.  Possibly due to rate-limiting.  Or a host of other
possibilities.

We provide our customers with dedicated local resolvers which tends to
keep things speedy.  Your host may do the same.
--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services