[BlueOnyx:13926] revisited: mx server ip address change killing incoming email

Tom wcstaff at webcoast.com
Sat Oct 26 12:12:04 -05 2013

I have asked this question before and always end up putting the ip address

back to the original, because of mail failure.

I have 2 static ip addresses assigned to a server.

In the dns setup I have both A and reverse for:

ns.domain.com and ns2.domain.com

For each domain on the box, I have A and MX settings:

mail . doamin.com   Forward   xx.xxx.xxx.51

www . domain.com   Forward   xx.xxx.xxx.51

domain.com.com  Forward   xx.xxx.xxx.51

doamin.com  Mail Highest   mail.doamin.com

all mail, web, etc. work fine.

In the past I have always used the xx.xxx.xxx.51 for mail. I want to move

mail traffic to xx.xxx.xxx.52, which is now what I have done, again, as of

yesterday.

So now my setup is:

mail . doamin.com   Forward   xx.xxx.xxx.52

www . domain.com   Forward   xx.xxx.xxx.51

domain.com.com  Forward   xx.xxx.xxx.51

doamin.com  Mail Highest   mail.doamin.com

Since this change, no email is being received. I watched the maillog and it

only shows users checking and sending mail. There is no outside inbound

mail traffic. I checked the mail servers ip using mxtoolbox and it shows

mail server for each domain on xx.xxx.xxx.52.

What am I missing here? As soon as I switch back to xx.xxx.xxx.51, all mail

flows correctly. Could it be that I'm just not waiting long enough for

propagation to finish?

Thanks

Tom