[BlueOnyx:13940] Re: ip alias dns setting

wcstaff at webcoast.com wcstaff at webcoast.com
Tue Oct 29 07:46:12 -05 2013

[mailto:blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it] On
> Behalf Of Michael Stauber
> Sent: Monday, October 28, 2013 9:40 PM
> To: BlueOnyx General Mailing List
> Subject: [BlueOnyx:13938] Re: ip alias dns setting
>
> Hi Tom.
>
> > how to add an alias IP address to an existing NIC.
>
> Your server already has one IP address configured. The one for "eth0".
> When you now create a new site and put that onto a new IP address, the
> GUI will automatically create eth0:0 and will associate the new IP to
> that. The next new IP address associated to another site will
> automatically create eth0:1 and so on.
>
> When an "alias" IP becomes free (i.e.: no more sites are using it), then
> it will be removed automatically.
>
> > What DNS entry is needed in order to use it for a Vsite, mail server,
etc?

> For the alias IP's you use the same methodology to create DNS records as
> you do for the primary IP. Just use the new IP for these records.
>
> Ideally you should avoid using eth1 for Vsites, as this can create
> routing issues depending on the IP address range that you use there.
>
> --
> With best regards
>
> Michael Stauber

Thanks Michael,
I don't quite understand?
Don't I need to have any dns entries for the domain name I'm going to use
the new IP address for?
My server has 2 NICS installed with separate IP addresses assigned to each
one.
And under, it will only allow me to add alias IP addresses to eth1.
Ipconfig reports eth0, eth1, eth1:0 and Lo.
Do I even need to do set an alias under System Settings - TCP/IP - Interface
aliases?
And should I remove the second NIC and just use one with alias IP addresses?
Thanks
Tom