[BlueOnyx:13650] Re: DNS Records invalid characters

Jim Matysek matysekj at usms.org
Sun Sep 8 20:27:52 -05 2013

Thanks, Michael. Some comments below.
> Hi Jim,
>
>> I'm trying to add DNS records for a domain that will be using
>> Sendgrid.com to send bulk email to members and am running into a few
>> problems and have a few questions:
>>
>> 1) Sendgrid wants me to add a CNAME record on a subdomain with the
>> record pointing to them, for instance on sendgrid.mydomain.com. I know
>> that everyone says to never add CNAME records, but since this is an
>> unused subdomain, is this okay?
> If you do NOT want to accept emails on that domain, then you can use a
> CNAME. I wouldn't, but that's personal preference. CNAMES and Sendmail's
> email aliases will not cooperate in one way or other.

Yes, we would not be accepting incoming emails on that subdomain, it's
just for outgoing email through the sendgrid service (a very nice
service, by the way).

>> 2) They also want me to add records with specific host names that the BX
>> GUI is choking on, saying that they contain invalid characters. Since
>> Sendgrid does this with lots of domains, I'm assuming these characters
>> are not actually invalid, but the BX GUI won't accept them. Is there a
>> way around this?  They want me to add TXT records for
>> smtpapi._domainkey.mydomain.com and
>> smtpapi._domainkey.sendgrid.mydomain.com and an A record for
>> o1.sendgrid.mydomain.com. The GUI is choking on all three of these for
>> illegal characters in the host name.
> It might be choking on the underscore. Or does your _domainkey contain
> any funky characters except the underscore?

There's also a dot character in the host name in both TXT records, and
only a dot character in the A record (no underscores) as far as
non-alphanumeric characters go.

-jim