[BlueOnyx:13649] Re: DNS Records invalid characters

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Sep 8 20:13:41 -05 2013

Hi Jim,

> I'm trying to add DNS records for a domain that will be using
> Sendgrid.com to send bulk email to members and am running into a few
> problems and have a few questions:
>
> 1) Sendgrid wants me to add a CNAME record on a subdomain with the
> record pointing to them, for instance on sendgrid.mydomain.com. I know
> that everyone says to never add CNAME records, but since this is an
> unused subdomain, is this okay?

If you do NOT want to accept emails on that domain, then you can use a
CNAME. I wouldn't, but that's personal preference. CNAMES and Sendmail's
email aliases will not cooperate in one way or other.

> 2) They also want me to add records with specific host names that the BX
> GUI is choking on, saying that they contain invalid characters. Since
> Sendgrid does this with lots of domains, I'm assuming these characters
> are not actually invalid, but the BX GUI won't accept them. Is there a
> way around this?  They want me to add TXT records for
> smtpapi._domainkey.mydomain.com and
> smtpapi._domainkey.sendgrid.mydomain.com and an A record for
> o1.sendgrid.mydomain.com. The GUI is choking on all three of these for
> illegal characters in the host name.

It might be choking on the underscore. Or does your _domainkey contain
any funky characters except the underscore?