[BlueOnyx:13648] DNS Records invalid characters

Jim Matysek matysekj at usms.org
Sun Sep 8 18:35:46 -05 2013

I'm trying to add DNS records for a domain that will be using
Sendgrid.com to send bulk email to members and am running into a few
problems and have a few questions:

1) Sendgrid wants me to add a CNAME record on a subdomain with the
record pointing to them, for instance on sendgrid.mydomain.com. I know
that everyone says to never add CNAME records, but since this is an
unused subdomain, is this okay?

2) They also want me to add records with specific host names that the BX
GUI is choking on, saying that they contain invalid characters. Since
Sendgrid does this with lots of domains, I'm assuming these characters
are not actually invalid, but the BX GUI won't accept them. Is there a
way around this?  They want me to add TXT records for
smtpapi._domainkey.mydomain.com and
smtpapi._domainkey./sendgrid/.mydomain.com and an A record for
o1./sendgrid/.mydomain.com. The GUI is choking on all three of these for
illegal characters in the host name.

-jim