[BlueOnyx:13687] Re: Load balanced BO's

Richard Sidlin richard at sidlin.co.uk
Fri Sep 13 16:56:09 -05 2013

Thanks Stephanie. Very useful indeed.

From: blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it
[mailto:blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it] On Behalf Of Stephanie Sullivan
Sent: 13 September 2013 17:45
To: 'BlueOnyx General Mailing List'
Subject: [BlueOnyx:13686] Re: Load balanced BO's

Richard,

There have been some good replies. In my experience MySQL overhead is what
tends to drive my servers to distraction. With wordpress, running out of
memory tends to send php into a cpu bound loop for a while which is very
annoying. So, if you want to make the next (not quite) Amazon, you might
consider having multiple servers as follows:

1)      An independent MySQL server tuned and dedicated to handling MySQL.
This is assuming the client site is MySQL intensive. This gives the database
a big boost and a well tuned machine dedicated to MySQL can push out a whole
lot of transactions.

a.       MySQL servers can be used with MySQL replication but that's whole
other level of requirement!

2)      One or more dedicated web servers. Just web, no email, etc. The
database queries will go across the net to the MySQL server so just static
stuff need be placed on the server.

a.       Yes, you may not store images in the database, so a 5m rsync script
might coordinate directories that have regular changes across servers if
needed.

3)      DNS setup to round-robin across servers (spread the load)

4)      If you are hosting email, use MX records to direct email to another
dedicated server; I see spam-bombing put significant load on a BX server.

Doing this with virtual machines might be fine for working out the
configuration, but you'll really want separate physical machines for each of
the above. All could easily be running BX with services not needed disabled
or firewalled off. It also has the potential of being reasonably scalable.

Of course, this should only be needed if tuning the existing server is
unproductive.

I hope this is helpful.

                Thanks,

                                -Stephanie