[BlueOnyx:15073] Re: YUM updates for 5106R/5107R/5108R

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Apr 3 09:42:26 -05 2014

Hi Eiji,

> Are you doing sure this yum Updates really?

Absolutely. UTF-8 can display pretty much all languages - including
Japanese. It can't do Elfish or Klingon, but from what I gather those
two aren't in much demand anyway.

> (Name, comment, group name, etc.) characters
> that users in Japan has registered Is EUC.

That's not entirely correct. All of that information is stored in CODB.
And if something is submitted to CODB that's not in ASCII, it will be
binary encoded anyway. CODB has always done that.

The charset that the text was in before (ISO-8859-1, UTF-8 or EUC-JP)
doesn't matter. If the text contains kanji, umlauts, accents or acutes
CODB will encode it.

There is *one* exception: Vacation messages. If a user currently has a
vacation message set that contains non-ASCII characters, then he should
update the message via the GUI to make it display correctly. That's
about the only negative side effect that this transition creates.

Usernames, comments, group names and so on accept only ASCII characters
anyway. The field where you enter the full name of a user is treated
specially. It can contain non-ASCII characters, but that data is only
stored in CODB, so it displays correctly anyway. Regardless of the
encoding in which it was initially entered.

That's the beauty of it.

> You will  break all by this yum?

I'm not breaking it, I'm fixing it. And I just tested the login page on
my wifes laptop (Spanish Windows 7, Firefox 28). It now works correctly.
Before the update the text on the login page was broken.

Please do me a favor and test the updates. You'll be surprised how well
they work and that they solve almost all problems we've had with Japanese.