[BlueOnyx:15105] Re: Securing against invading spammers

Brian M toomanyhandles at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 18:03:29 -05 2014

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 5:18 PM, Michael Stauber <mstauber at blueonyx.it>wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> > Thanks Michael.  Can this information get into a help file someplace in
> the
> > UI?
>
> >We're in the process of setting up a BlueOnyx Wiki. The new GUI will
> >also have links in its GUI pages to matching topics on the Wiki. So this
> >is certainly something that ought to get added there in the somewhat
> >longer run.
>
> >> Recall the questions I had about getting sshkey auth to work in
> BlueOnyx as
> >> would be expected for a typical *nix user on a typical distro, a while
> >> back.
>
> >Actually the SSH key exchange works the very same as on any other Linux
> >distribution. But this is also something I'm currently working on:

The wiki sounds great.  The new ssh/sshey items also.  There is a lot of
useful info here that gets brought up only once every quarter or two and
which can be hard to find.  Getting that recorded as you put together those
mails could save a lot of support time on your part (either via this list
or direct support tickets) and I think also expand your customer base- to
me it is likely there are some that may be hesitant about deploying this
project due to concerns about it being atypical (in their eyes) without
easy reference to how to tweak the setup.

Re the sshkey auth.  Yes, it does _deploy_ as any other Linux distro.
 However, at least when I last set it up, I had to modify dir tree
permissions from the base BlueOnyx layout for it to _function_ as expected.
 : )  Honestly I'm not 100% confident I didn't open up holes that otherwise
would have remained closed, due to my lack of familiarity with how BlueOnyx
makes vsites and users of vsites work.

Which gets back to a wiki as a resource where this stuff would get
documented once and by those who have built this system.  This is still a
fantastic idea, and I'm sure that you would have plenty of folks offering
to submit content.

Thank you for the replies-

Brian.