[BlueOnyx:15191] Re: older software is throwing errors after MOD_PHP package - need quick fix

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Apr 14 15:24:13 -05 2014

Hi Tim,

> Errors like this
>
> strtotime(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone
> settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the
> date_default_timezone_set() function.

A run of "/sbin/service cced.init restart" or changing the PHP settings
will fix that. Timezone gets automatically added to php.ini during one
of these two steps.

> *Deprecated*: Assigning the return value of new by reference is
> deprecated in ...

> *Deprecated*: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and
> will be removed in the future ...

> *Deprecated*: Function eregi() is deprecated ...

>> Which PHP version are you using now
>
> PHP Version 5.5.8
>
>> and which one did you have before?
>
> Whatever came stock on a 5108R install

Look, there are a few things that don't make sense here. I'll try to be
patient to line them out for you:

a.) You have PHP scripts that are horribly outdated. Certain functions
have been deprecated in newer PHP versions. Functions such as eregi()

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.eregi.php

Or assigning the return value of new by reference. That's deprecated as
well. For good reasons.

b.) You said you are using BlueOnyx 5108R.

Look at the URL I posted above. The function eregi() has been deprecated
ever since PHP-5.3.0 and newer. Likewise passing by reference has been
deprecated since PHP-5.3.0.

BlueOnyx 5108R ships with PHP-5.3.3.

So you would have had BOTH of these problems with the stock PHP-5.3.3 as
well.

The *ONLY* was to get rid of these deprecation message (in PHP-5.3.3 -
but that does NOT work for PHP-5.4 or PHP-5.5!) is to modify php.ini to
suppress PHP from generating deprecation messages.

Still: It is a horrible idea. Because the code you are running is
ancient and probably riddled with security holes. You mention Gallery.
Gallery 3 has a version out that actually RUNS with PHP-5.4 and PHP-5.5.

See: http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:About

Why not upgrade that? It'll fix all the known security holes as well and
lets you sleep a whole lot better at night. As for your "ecommerce
software": You're making money with that. Can you justify to run
outdated shopping carts and stuff like that which puts your customer
data at risk? Upgrade it as well. If that software is still being
shipped, updated versions that run with todays PHP versions are out
there as well. If not: Ditch it! Because you can't afford to run stuff
that's no longer maintained. For the very same reasons.

Lastly, MCRYPT and MOD_PHP: When you bought the package, it gave you
access to three PHP versions:

The lastest PHP-5.3 for 5108R.
The lastest PHP-5.4 for 5108R.
The lastest PHP-5.5 for 5108R.

You can choose either one to install. So you can actually uninstall the
5.5 and install the 5.3 instead, which has MCRYPT as well.

Then (to suppress the "deprecated" error messages UNTIL you have updated
your horribly outdated PHP scripts) you can modify your php.ini like
suggested on this URL:

http://duntuk.com/how-disable-php-53-deprecated-errors

Like said: I think it is a horrible idea to modify the server config to
allow it to run outdated and defective PHP scripts. Especially if it is
ecommerce stuff.

And no: It is not possible to run different PHP versions side by side.