[BlueOnyx:16636] Re: access phpMyAdmin

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Dec 7 13:50:43 -05 2014

Hi Ken,

The most compatible usage of phpMyAdmin will always be to use the
version that's built into the GUI. After all: Your siteAdmin's should
have access there and can simply use phpMyAdmin from there.

Some users complain about this because they have to login to the GUI.
But if phpMyAdmin is installed on the public Apache, it would have to be
protected via username and password as well. And using phpMyAdmin via
the BlueOnyx GUI just involves one login and then they are automatically
logged into phpMyAdmin as well.

In the new GUI you even can go directly to phpMyAdmin in the GUI via an
URL like this without going through the menus first:

http://demo.blueonyx.it:444/phpmyadmin/site?group=site1

> 1)  Is the recommended solution to also buy the PHP and MySQL upgrades?  I
> host mostly legacy sites and am not eager to upgrade to PHP 5.5 and see if
> it breaks any of the sites.

When you buy the PHP package (or the PHP & MySQL bundle) you get access
to the latest PHP-5.3, 5.4, 5.5 and soon also 5.6.

You can then choose which one you want to install. If you install 5.5
and realize some sites won't work, you can uninstall it and fetch either
the latest 5.4 or can go all the way back to the 5.3.29-1 if you like.

> 2)  What is the recommended way to keep the phpMyAdmin version updated on
> virtual sites?

When you have one WebApp version of phpMyAdmin installed and a new PKG
is released, you install the new PKG. Then you can (via the WebApp-GUI)
choose to update previously deployed older installs of phpMyAdmin. Or
the siteAdmins can upgrade it via the WebApp-GUI if they want to.

At this time the only WebApp that updates all deployed previously
installs is RoundCube. Doing that for phpMyAdmin as well might be an
idea worth exploring.