[BlueOnyx:16725] Re: Feature option (vnstat)

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Dec 19 23:52:26 -05 2014

Hi George,

> "vnstat" is a trio of small programs that monitors and graphs out
> network usage for user-selected interface.
>
> Info is here:  http://humdi.net/vnstat/

That's kinda interesting. At the moment the new GUI uses "sa" and "sar"
to generate pretty much the same detail level of data. These are command
line tools as well.

The results of it can be seen here for example:

user: admin
pass: demo123.
The password has a dot at the end.

I'm pretty pleased with these results and I'm not sure if switching to
vnstat would generate a better set of data. The data source after all
would be the same. Just the method of gathering and maybe the
presentation would be different.

As is sa / sar keep logs (so far) for the last 30 days of usage and the
GUI is (so far) limited to only show the activity for the last 24 hours.

I could easily extend it to keep logs for longer and to display the data
for different (selectable) periods instead of just the last 24 hours.

It's just that when I started working on it I only had very little data
to play with, so it made no sense to plan ahead for displaying one year
of data, if I only had logs for the last 48 or 72 hours at that point.

With sa / sar we not only collect and display network traffic, but the
other graphs under Active Monitor for CPU and memory usage or disk
utilization for example are also generated that way.

See:

http://demo.blueonyx.it:444/am/cpu_details
http://demo.blueonyx.it:444/disk/serverDiskUsage
http://demo.blueonyx.it:444/am/memory_details