[BlueOnyx:14349] MBR loss on software RAID1

Andreas Ebertus lists.aeb at cbxnet.de
Mon Feb 3 07:36:03 -05 2014

Hello list,

I think I've found the cause for the loss of MBR on software RAID1
systems. The init script /etc/init.d/mdchk gets executed during boot
and on line 227 it writes a syslinux MBR:

system(sprintf("ms-sys -s %s > /dev/stderr", disk));

This only happens on 5106R as the script checks for md[0-9] entries
in /etc/fstab and exits if it finds none. But as of 5107R we only have
UUID's in fstab so the mdchk script never really gets executed on
5107R/5108R systems. That means we could get rid of
the /etc/init.d/fix_grub script.

Best regards,
Andreas