[BlueOnyx:14354] Re: MBR loss on software RAID1

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Feb 3 20:27:00 -05 2014

Hi Andreas,

> I think I've found the cause for the loss of MBR on software RAID1
> systems. The init script /etc/init.d/mdchk gets executed during boot
> and on line 227 it writes a syslinux MBR:
>
> system(sprintf("ms-sys -s %s > /dev/stderr", disk));

Yikes! Great find! Many thanks! Been looking for that issue for ages.

Yeah, the entire RAID stuff is horribly broken. In 520XR I'll probably
rip it out entirely and just let a PHP script monitor the RAID status. I
have that part already working.

However, the underlying Perl and shell scripts to monitor RAID and to
initiate a rebuild are simply too old to get them working on EL6 clones.
I've tried some work arounds, but they'll shoot us in the foot in the
long haul.