[BlueOnyx:14473] Re: mirror list error

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Feb 7 09:45:11 -05 2014

Hi Chris,

> LOL.  Actually, this just got me to thinking.   Yesterday afternoon the
> the BlueOnyx network was running around 80Mbps to the Internet for a
> stretch.   That's about 60% more than the normally monitored traffic.

Yikes. Yeah, that's quite a lot. 500 updated or new RPMs times 25.000
BlueOnyx servers ... and suddenly those ~22 MB of updates amount to
something.

If I'd still be serving the YUM repository off my home-office DSL line,
I'd be DDOS'ed for a week. :p

> It's a different world these days, that's for sure!

Yeah, I recall ISDN being fast (and hey, you could bundle channels!) and
later on getting my first 2Mbit line and running around 30 Cobalts on it
in a broom closet in the basement. You could hear the fans whining three
floors up through several closed doors.

Stuff like that is no longer possible. Quite a different world indeed.