[BlueOnyx:14629] Re: Curious YUM problem, SOLVED

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Feb 13 22:12:29 -05 2014

On 2/13/2014 8:00 PM, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> On 2/13/2014 5:44 PM, Michael Stauber wrote:
>
>> There also seems to be another RPM duplicate issue on that box, with
>> things such as base-alpine being installed in multiple versions.
>>
>> Try to run this script:
>>
>> /usr/sausalito/sbin/rpm-clean-duplicates.pl
>>
>> It detects double RPM entries (if there are any) and posts commands on
>> the command line with which you can remedy that situation. By itself it
>> won't make these changes, as the output needs to be reviewed manually
>> for security reasons.
>
> The first issue was the script didn't exist on the box, but I copied it
> across from a known-good system and it ran just fine.   I've whittled it
> down to this so far:
>
> # /usr/sausalito/sbin/rpm-clean-duplicates.pl
> #
> ### Detected 7 duplicate RPMs:
> #
> RPM gmp is listed with these version numbers:
> 4.3.1-7.el6_2.2
> 4.3.1-7.el6
> RPM libblkid is listed with these version numbers:
> 2.17.2-12.14.el6
> 2.17.2-12.9.el6
> RPM libselinux is listed with these version numbers:
> 2.0.94-5.2.el6
> 2.0.94-5.3.el6
> RPM libuuid is listed with these version numbers:
> 2.17.2-12.14.el6
> 2.17.2-12.9.el6
> RPM module-init-tools is listed with these version numbers:
> 3.9-21.el6_4
> 3.9-21.el6
> RPM sed is listed with these version numbers:
> 4.2.1-10.el6
> 4.2.1-7.el6
> RPM upstart is listed with these version numbers:
> 0.6.5-12.el6_4.1
> 0.6.5-12.el6
> #
> ### Run the following commands (at your own risk!) to remove the newer
> RPMs from the database:
> #
> rpm -e --justdb libselinux-2.0.94-5.3.el6
> [root at vm363 ~]# rpm -e --justdb libselinux-2.0.94-5.3.el6
> error: Failed dependencies:
>           libselinux = 2.0.94-5.3.el6 is needed by (installed)
> libselinux-utils-2.0.94-5.3.el6.x86_64
>

> Do you have any advice for the libselinux issue?

Nevermind on that.  I needed to go bigger picture on this.

At this stage, I went with a yum clean all / yum update again and ran
into many AV-SPAM dependency problems, similar to what RC mentioned
running into earlier this week.  Accordingly, I recycled some advice
from Michael that was offered in [BlueOnyx:14544], but changed the
versioning reference to 6.4 (from 6.5) since the 6.5 update hadn't yet
taken place.   Therefore, I did this:

cd /var/cache/yum/x86_64/6.4/Solarspeed.net-AVSPAM-v51/packages/
rpm -hUv --force *.rpm

That forced the AV-SPAM packages in.  After that, I gave another yum
update, which took place and loaded in upwards of 1100 packages!   There
was some complaint about RPMs being updated outside of YUM but the
process did carry out.

The box now seems fully updated and is running normally.   All's well
that ends well.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services