[BlueOnyx:14639] Re: Frontend Mail Filter

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Feb 14 11:56:01 -05 2014

Hi Colin,

> I just wondered if anybody had come up with some sort of frontend filter solution to reduce the impact on the hosts?

Depends on the nature of the attack. If it's brute force login attempts
from botnets, then DFIX2 can help. If it's just SPAM that's hitting
SMPT, the AV-SPAM or some third party mail filtering service in front
can help. Greylisting stops a whole bunch of the SPAM from botnets, as
they usually just try to send and don't queue like a real MTA,

As for the AV-SPAM: SpamAssassin 3.4 was released a few days ago. It has
been in development for a long time and is pretty mature. Contains a lot
of changes and improvements, which also affect the build process and its
dependencies. I'll have an update of it ready for the AV-SPAM in the
next few days.