[BlueOnyx:14699] Re: Max Apache Connections

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Feb 19 10:50:56 -05 2014

On 2/18/2014 5:56 PM, Michael Aronoff wrote:
> In the GUI Maximum Simultaneous Connections says any number from 1-7,972 is
> valid but when I set any number above 256 I get the following when I restart
> apache on the command line:
>
> Starting httpd: WARNING: MaxClients of 500 exceeds ServerLimit value of 256
> servers,
>   lowering MaxClients to 256.  To increase, please see the ServerLimit
>   directive.
>
> Checking on Google it seems that maybe that Apache is compiled with a max of
> 256.
>
> I have a modern machine with dual quad core Xeons and 16GB of RAM. It should
> be able to handle much more traffic than it is.
>
> Is this something done in BO? And if so can it be fixed?

In  /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, you'll find a line that says:
ServerLimit      256

You can change that to a number you feel to be appropriate, save, then
restart httpd.

So yes, it CAN be done.  The question you should ask yourself is IF it
SHOULD be done.   Has the box been rejecting connections because of too
many connections?   Unless it's under extreme load, it probably is not.
   It's a question each sysadmin should answer for themselves, but for
my own purposes, I typically do not raise the ServerLimit.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services