[BlueOnyx:14903] Re: SSL change after updates?

Matt James matt at rainstorminc.com
Mon Mar 10 08:09:13 -05 2014

Hi Michael,

I have run into another issue related to the SSL conf update pushed out in mid February (we were behind on our updates, so I'm just seeing this behavior now).

We have a couple of sites on our servers that use wildcard domains and SSLs.  Unfortunately, the GUI does not support adding a wildcard web alias *.domain.com (we get a validation error).  In the past, we've gotten around this by adding a ServerAlias line to the vhost include file for the site.  This always worked for both http and https.

Unfortunately, it appears that the recent update has caused this behavior to no longer work for https (though http works fine).  I assume the reason is due to changes in the /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl_perl.conf file.  Short-term, I've been able to work around the issue by manually adding a few of our aliases directly into the GUI.  While this works temporarily for one of our sites, it's not a long term solution for us as this list can grow substantially in the future as users can "create" their own subdomains.

Ideally, we'd like to have the GUI allow us to put in *.domain.com into the web server aliases field as that would allow us to remove the vhost include file we use as well.  Barring that, any changes that could be made to the recent updates to support the old https behavior would help us as well.

Thanks for your help!

--
Matt James
RainStorm, Inc