[BlueOnyx:14910] Re: Squirrelmail broken again

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Mar 11 21:48:28 -05 2014

Hi Eiji & Herb

On 3/11/2014 9:03 PM, Eiji Hamano wrote:
> Hi
>
> It might be solved with  tree of  [BlueOnyx:14633]   and  [BlueOnyx:14668] .
> This list is indifferent to the problem of solved already.

Hmmm.   Maybe it is a translation problem but I do not think we are
indifferent.  However, we must acknowledge a couple of issues.

#1. Squirrelmail is really a pretty sad webmail client.   Although it
was included with the first BlueOnyx (5106R), the dev team realized
pretty soon after that that Squirrelmail is just weak.  It has been
deprecated out of current releases.

#2. Right now Michael has his hands full with the new BlueOnyx GUI.
That is the primary push at this point.

If you're having trouble with Squirrelmail then I would recommend
following the previous suggestions (as Eiji has mentioned).  As a
refresher, that was as follows:

Do this:
yum reinstall base-squirrelmail-glue base-squirrelmail-capstone

Then make sure it has a configuration file:
cat /etc/admserv/conf.d/squirrelmail.conf

Then restart services:
/sbin/service cced.init restart
/sbin/service admserv restart
/sbin/service httpd restart

I would advise not to get too comfortable with Squirrelmail, though.
We've seen the last of it with 5106R and I say good riddance.

If you need a Webmail package badly, you really should check out the
Roundcube option that is available in the BlueOnyx Store:
http://shop.blueonyx.it/blueonyx/email/roundcubemail.html

At about $25, that's affordable for ANYONE who professes to have the
wherewithal to run a server.  And it's worlds better than Squirrelmail
by any measure.   That would be my humble recommendation.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services