[BlueOnyx:14932] Re: Squirrelmail broken again

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Mar 13 21:47:49 -05 2014

Hi Ralf,

> But I can't upgrade to 5107 or 5108 simply
> for the fact that the machine that I have to spare as a web server runs
> only with 384MB of RAM. There 5106 is the only alternative to run for
> now. Too bad that BlueOnyx is turning a bit into a "everything and the
> kitchen sink", even for a basic install, instead of having those things
> as optional components. Not everyone if running BlueOnyx to run a data
> center on it...

Yeah, if that box has only 384MB of RAM, it might not run a RHEL6 clone
at all - even a 32 bit.

As for firewalls: Back in Germany I used to have a "dedicated" PC based
firewall myself. It was usually the most low end PC that could still be
coaxed to life with spare parts donated from various failed servers
and/or desktops.

Then that one died as well and I did run out of "organ donors". So I got
a brand new a 300 EUR desktop PC from Alternate (you might still recall
them, I think?), threw the Windows disk away, plugged two additional
NIC's in it and installed Linux and the firewall stuff. It lasted seven
or eight years of 24/7 duty on the second HD.

I don't like to upgrade hardware if I don't have to either. But
eventually it goes the way of all earthly things and then it's time for
something else.