[BlueOnyx:14934] Re: Squirrelmail broken again

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Mar 13 22:19:02 -05 2014

Hi Ralf,
On 3/13/2014 2:46 PM, Ralf Quint wrote:

> Well, won't be using AV-Spam on any machine, 8 bit or or not, as I run
> spam filter on my firewall. But I can't upgrade to 5107 or 5108 simply
> for the fact that the machine that I have to spare as a web server runs
> only with 384MB of RAM. There 5106 is the only alternative to run for
> now. Too bad that BlueOnyx is turning a bit into a "everything and the
> kitchen sink", even for a basic install, instead of having those things
> as optional components. Not everyone if running BlueOnyx to run a data
> center on it...

Just to address the "everything and the kitchen sink" comment, I don't
think that we're really in danger of BlueOnyx losing focus of what it is
meant to do.   As a base install, we are more or less staying up-to-date
with the times while keeping essentially the same feature-set as when
5106R was first introduced, which grew from BlueQuartz, which sprouted
from Cobalt RaQ550.

If you've been around with these devices as long as I have (and many of
us here have been here far longer than me!) then you can remember back
to a time before PHP controls were added into the RaQs.  I don't feel as
though it was feature-bloat that brought us to PHP's inclusion.

Also, if you look back, neither the Cobalt or BlueQuartz releases has an
integrated webmail client at all.   I will fess up to feeling partially
responsible for the mistake that was adding Squirrelmail to 5106R.   I
blame myself, and you can as well.   Without looking up the old email
thread, I can only recall that I encouraged the inclusion of a webmail
client with the base install because that was one of those extras that
pretty much everyone added anyhow, and it seemed the right thing to do
in order to be competitive with some of the other offerings at the time.
   Looking back, I think that was a mistake.   Well, you live and learn,
I guess.

At any rate, I think that the direction of BlueOnyx is consistent with
our goal to offer an easy to install, easy to use all-in-one hosting
platform.  Michael & Greg have done a great job with the heavy lifting
to provide the functionality to quickly add features such as spam
filtering, upgraded PHP, web-app installers and so forth.  And yes,
webmail.

Finally, just because I don't want to give the wrong impression that I'm
a complete hardware snob, have a look at this from what is currently the
box I'm most fond of in the datacenter:

[root at robin ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 5
model name      : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 398.798
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 mmx fxsr up
bogomips        : 797.59

[root at robin ~]# uptime
  22:00:01 up 820 days,  5:13,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
[root at robin ~]#
[root at robin ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.10 (Final)

She also has a whopping 512MB RAM.    Now, I wouldn't ever try running
websites off of that box, but she does a fantastic job of taking and
storing nightly backups from a couple dozen "real" servers.

The box predates SATA and Gigabit Ethernet.   The SATA issue was solved
with a PCI add-on.  I'd love to do the same with the network, but I
don't want to reboot it!

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services