[BlueOnyx:14950] Re: New 5108 ISO?

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Mar 19 09:14:34 -05 2014

On 3/19/2014 8:48 AM, wcstaff at webcoast.com wrote:
> Actually the updates are all automatic, so it's really no bother. It doesn't
> take long at all to update.

My guess here is that Dirk is referring to new BlueOnyx installations.
As updates are made and left in the YUM repos, that just takes a little
more time on the initial yum update after a new BlueOnyx installation.

While it's true that this realistically only adds a few minutes to an
installation, if you do this regularly enough then that can become
somewhat of a time vampire.   And you know what they say; time is money.

> I prefer Scientific Linux over CentOS. I originally installed it that way
> because the developers prefer it as well. And they know WAY more than me.:)

We typically go with SL as well, for the same reasons Michael has
mentioned.  So that's our standard go-to installation.  We have had 1
customer who insisted on the CentOS version for their own reasons, on a
6-server installation.  We've not noticed any functional or practical
differences.   Both distros are RHEL clones.  It's just a matter of
which you prefer in terms of updates, and SL has shown to be a bit more
attentive in that regard.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services