[BlueOnyx:14955] Re: Yum update poblem

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Mar 19 09:48:39 -05 2014

Hi Alex,

On 3/19/2014 9:34 AM, Alex Anseel - Titelive wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Forgot to tell you wich version.
> 5100R Series
> Maybe no more updates for this version ?

Oh my!  OK, that is BlueQuartz.   And this is the BlueOnyx list.   So
that is why I presumed that you were talking about a BlueOnyx server
(5106R or later).

In the case of BlueQuartz, there are no more updates for the 5100/5102R
releases, since they were built on the old CentOS 4.   They are
functionally obsolete.

> Is it safe to upgrade this server to the latest version 5108 ?

It is not only "safe", but encouraged.   Running a BlueQuartz server is
what is not safe.

That said, make sure you understand the process, and which version to
use.   If you install BlueOnyx, that will overwrite anything on your
server.  You cannot simply update a running BlueQuartz system to
BlueOnyx.   It's a full operating system replacement.

Also, make sure that you understand the correct version to use.  5107R
is for 32-bit systems, 5108R is for 64-bit.    5106R is an older version
based on CentOS 5 and is only available as 32-bit.  It is now a legacy
release. We don't recommend this for new installations.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services