[BlueOnyx:14994] Re: ERROR createTar: Input/output error

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Mar 24 12:16:13 -05 2014

Thanks Dudi & Michael,
On 3/24/2014 10:58 AM, Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
>> We have a customer server that does not appear to be CMU'ing properly.
>> The customer would like to move from 5106R to 5108R and is not getting a
>> clean CMUExport.
>>
>> ERROR createTar: Input/output error
>>
>> Ideas?
>
> Is he using the latest CMU?
>
> [root at 5106r ~]# rpm -q 5106R-cmu
> 5106R-cmu-2.91-0BX03.centos5
>
> There are usually three causes for this:
>
> - Incorrect permissions for the target directory

Nah, we're safe there.

> - Disk going bad

Yes, I think that's a problem.

> - Bungled up Perl modules for Compression. Like using ones from a third
> party repository.

Our packages look good there.

> On a fully yummed 5106R you should have these:
>
> perl-Compress-Zlib-1.42-1.fc6
> perl-Archive-Tar-1.39.1-1.el5_5.2

-bash-3.2# rpm -q 5106R-cmu
5106R-cmu-2.91-0BX03.centos5

-bash-3.2# rpm -q perl-Compress-Zlib
perl-Compress-Zlib-1.42-1.fc6

-bash-3.2# rpm -q perl-Archive-Tar
perl-Archive-Tar-1.39.1-1.el5_5.2

I think Dudi was on target with the suggestion that /home may be
damaged.   Running smartctl on the drive shows some problems are
indicated on this single-drive system.

Therefore, I'm thinking perhaps we might try connecting an external
drive and running cmuExport with the -d option and send it there.

Well, at least our line of work isn't monotonous.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services