[BlueOnyx:15027] Re: file to edit encording of Vacation Message

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Mar 27 12:03:02 -05 2014

Hi Sam,

> Let me ask which file I can edit to change encording of
> autoresponder messages?

To follow up on my last message: I just looked at this problem again and
I think I have it fixed now. I just submitted the changes to SVN and YUM
updates will be available later today:

http://devel.blueonyx.it/trac/changeset/1369/

It's a bit more complicated than I thought. My work around now does this:

When you use the GUI to create/modify a vacation message, the actual
vacation message is stored in CODB and is also written off as file to
the users home directory as .vacation_msg.

Usually the text in there is in UTF-8 format. For Japanese vacation
messages it was garbled, corrupted and didn't make any sense. The first
step of my fix now makes sure that Japanese vacation messages are
converted from EUC-JP to UTF-8 before storing them in ~user/.vacation_msg

The second step involved modifying /usr/local/sbin/vacation.pl. Although
the message body with the actual vacation message is now in UTF-8
encoding, in a Japanese vacation message the Subject is still in EUC-JP,
which we cannot mail. So again I used Encode:JP to decode the subject
from EUC-JP to UTF-8. Still, these emails were not perfect, as a subject
with non ASCII characters needs MIME-Encoding. So I also needed to
encode the UTF-8 Subject into MIME-Encoding.

A resulting vacation message in Japanese now will look like this: