[BlueOnyx:15389] Re: SSL Untrusted

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue May 13 14:04:17 -05 2014

On 5/13/2014 12:23 PM, Richard Sidlin wrote:
>> Hi Richard,
>> Were you certain to add the CA in via the GUI?   I personally installed
>> over a dozen SSL certs myself on various BlueOnyx servers yesterday, and
>> they all functioned OK on every browser, so I would probably make a point
>> double-check...
>>
> Not certain at all and just added it in. I guess Chrome and IE don't
> complain about that. One thing, although it doesn't come up with the
> security error, it has a little exclamation mark and reports that the web
> site does not supply ownership information. Is this easily fixed? Thank you
> for that fix Chris.

It could just be that Firefox doesn't have the CA preloaded.  When some
of the SSL vendors go on about "97% worldwide browser compatibility"
that could be part of what they're talking about.   Adding the CA into
the server ensures that the browser (any browser) should accept the cert
without complaint.

What you're seeing now is probably 2 things.
#1: The "!" is indicating that although you're using https to pull the
page, there may be an element or elements that are not being served by
https.   That's most likely unrelated to...

#2: "The site does not supply ownership information."  If you purchased
a domain-validated SSL certificate, that's true.  The domain-validated
certificates are the least expensive of signed certs, partially because
there is very little in terms of actual validation to be done.   I'm
guessing all you had to do is verify that you received email at a
particular address. There are more expensive certificates that involve
the SSL vendor actually checking into who owns the domain and is sort of
a mini background check.  Those "extended validation" certs are the ones
that will turn your browser address bar green.

I hope that helps.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services