[BlueOnyx:16469] Re: RAID1 with 2 SATA drives

Tom wcstaff at webcoast.com
Mon Nov 17 03:23:41 -05 2014

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet <cobaltfacts at ...> writes:

> On 11/16/2014 6:16 PM, Tom wrote:
> > However, for some reason it will not raid my 2 500gb SATA drives. It
shows
> > them, as 2 drives ((2x) WDxxxxxxx) in the info page on 1 line instead of
> > separated. When I check raid, it shows no raid. I do have hardware raid
in
> > the bios, but have always read not to use it for BO.
>
> A bit more information will be necessary here, Tom.   What kind of
> "hardware RAID" are you using?  (Or not using?)  Generally, if you have
> a "good" hardware RAID, I'd say use that.   But if it's fakeraid / fraid
> (as in, it needs some sort of driver) then TURN IT OFF in the BIOS and
> do not use it.
>
> I'm not sure what you're seeing in the "info page".  What does it show
> when you give this command as root:
> cat /proc/mdstat
>
> If in doubt, it may be that the drives have some sort of software RAID
> (maybe from one of those fraid systems) striping on them.  In which
> case, install BlueOnyx using the "no dmraid" option to skip the RAID
> detection.
>
> > Also, the GUI has all sorts of issues, won't build pages, page load
never
> > happens, blank pages, etc. At5 first I assumed it was the system raiding
> > the drives. I tried reinstalling and it does the same thing. re-
downloaded,
> > same issue.
>
> That sounds flaky.  What version did you download, and are you burning
> to ISO?   Are you 100% confident in the hardware?

I re-downloaded the software and did a fresh install and yum update, this
time picking the no raid option and now I have Raid1 mirroring setup,
through BOnyX, on the server.
However, the GUI is still coming up all erratic with missing icons, pages
won't complete, real lag and slow. Then, I'll get errors like An Error Was
Encountered The URI you submitted has disallowed characters. This happens
by just clicking on a link from within the GUI. The version I downloaded is
the latest available and I'm burning to DVD from ISO. I downloaded it
twice. Weird thing is it loaded perfect and completed a YUM Update just
fine.
Thanks for the input
Tom