[BlueOnyx:16491] Re: 5208R - Adding mysql Database to a site

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Nov 19 14:21:47 -05 2014

Hi Michael,

On 11/19/2014 1:03 PM, Michael Stauber wrote:
> Which privileges are *not* granted in your usage cases, but *need* to be
> granted to make it work for you?

Right... sorry to have been vague.

In order for some applications to work properly, they may require full
privileges.   For instance, we received a ticket on one earlier this
week where the customer successfully installed Joomla 3, but then
received this error when moving on through their configuration process:

"Access denied for user 'joyarr'@'localhost' to database 'joyarr-db'
SQL=LOCK TABLES `j15d4_assets` WRITE"

We granted all privileges on the specific database to the user, and that
cleared the problem for them.

In the days when we set up MySQL databases for customers using
phpMyAdmin, we would routinely "Check All" for the "Database-specific
privileges".   Yes, that gives the user full reign to screw things up,
but only on their own DB, so unless I'm missing something, I don't see
any reason not to do that.

Thoughts?
--
Chris Gebhardt