[BlueOnyx:16534] Re: favicon.ico for admserv

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Nov 22 15:40:28 -05 2014

Hi George,

> It would provide something in the browser's tabs and URL bar, and if for
> no other reason, it would help keep the error log clean.

For this to actually work, all GUI templates would need something like
this in their header:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.blueonyx.it/favicon.ico"
type="image/x-icon">

And you must use a real fully qualified URL in the "href" and must not
be shortened to a relative path.

Hence for this to work I'd need to mess with all templates (and there
are a few). Additionally the Class BXPage.php would need a routine where
it looks up the IP or hostname of the server and determines if the
current visit comes via HTTP or HTTPS to construct a good fully
qualified URL to the favicon.

Otherwise we would have non HTTPS elements in HTTPS version of the page.
Or if we use an external URL and the server is in the intranet, then it
would involve time outs.

BXPage.php already knows the FQDN of the box from reading the CODB
"System" object earlier. But if I'd wire it to the IP instead that would
involve another CODB "FIND" and "GET" transaction on each page load and
there are already plenty of them.

So ... it's way too much of a bother for very little gain. :-)