[BlueOnyx:16541] Re: favicon.ico for admserv

George F. Nemeyer tigerwolf at tigerden.com
Sun Nov 23 00:25:02 -05 2014

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014, Michael Aronoff wrote:

> Also keep in mind that there is no downside to having the file there. It
> will not break anything else.

That was my thought.  If it makes browsers happy, then ok.. it's a tiny
file anyway (ours is 400 bytes).  I'd not really made a survey of what
browsers might or might not ask for it (Firefox, Opera, and my android
tablet seem to).  I've been sticking the icon in place since Blue Quartz
days 'just because'...usually because I happened to look at error logs for
some reason.

I'm not sure, but it may be the browser only asks once, then caches it and
associates it with the site's base URL.  I noticed a Firefox that was
running before I put the file in hasn't caught on that there's one there
now (even with a page refresh), but there's no additional requests in the
log either.  But any broswer that hasn't seen the site before picks up the
icon on first visit the login page , then it is displayed for other pages
as well.

That if it's not W3C compliant, I'm not surprized.  I seem to recall it
was a MicroSoft invented thing, and in those days they were working hard
to break Internet 'standards' anyway.  In those early days I resisted
putting one up, but got tired of all the errors in logs.