[BlueOnyx:16093] Manually clearing Failed Logins

Gregg K greggk1 at cox.net
Fri Oct 3 10:07:50 -05 2014

Hello,

How would I go by manually clearing the failed login database?  I have a
server that has so many entries in there that it just won't open anymore, it
times out.  I want to know if there is a way to manually do it through
command line.

Trying to figure out what's going on with this server, I noticed in the
messages log file, 1000s of entries such as this:

Oct  3 08:02:48 ns1 saslauthd[11354]: do_auth         : auth failure:
[user=kramer] [service=smtp] [realm=] [mech=shadow] [reason=Unknown]

They start at letter A and go all the way to letter Z in the alphabet trying
out different names.  I can't figure out the IPs doing this either,
otherwise I would block them.  A few times a day, Dovecot just gives up, and
I have to manually restart it.  I must say, they are quite persistent in
trying.

I have Dfix installed, but I don't think it's catching these particular
tries.

Thanks,

Gregg