[BlueOnyx:16134] Re: New BO 5208R Install - Major Issue.

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Oct 9 16:58:16 -05 2014

Hi Richard,

> 1) Should we use BlueOnyx-5208R-CentOS-6.5 OR BlueOnyx-5208R-SL-6.5. This
> one we are Not Sure of the benefits, recommendations etc

I have written a bit about that topic here:

http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=version-info

In a nutshell: It doesn't really matter and both are fine. In fact you
can't tell these two apart unless you check which repositories they use
or what /etc/redhat-release says. They're eggs from the same hen - so to
speak. :-)

> 2) We will eventually (once we are very comfortable with BO), be installing
> onto a Dell 710 Blade server (one of several). These servers already have
> Built-in Hardware RAID configured for the impending OS install and Data. We
> can either delete the DATA raid volume or unplug. I think my understanding
> is that if we just delete the RAID Set for Data, BO will Raid the drive
> anyway?

BlueOnyx is greedy upon install. If it sees a disk, or two or three or
four ... it takes them all, wipes the RAID data, partitions them and
tries to make use of them. If it sees a single disk, it installs w/o
RAID. If it sees two or more disks, then it turns them into a RAID2 and
all of the disks become RAID members.

So my recommendation is: Unplug all disk that you *don't* want BlueOnyx
to format. Then boot off the disk and install. No need to wipe the disks
beforehand. The installer will do that for you.