[BlueOnyx:17422] Re: Relay email problem

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Apr 14 08:50:48 -05 2015

Hi Tobias,

On 4/14/2015 6:45 AM, Tobias Gablunsky wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a problem relaying emails over a fully patched 5108R installation.
>
> I added a hostname into the field "Relay Email From Hosts/Domains/IP Addresses" under the global Email Servers Settings. It is a dynamic dns name which gets resolved correctly if I try it on the system in a shell.
>
> But when sending an email from this host I get the following in /var/log/maillog:
>
> Apr  9 14:51:15 mail sendmail[23945]: t39CpFjS023945: ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<redacted at hotmail.com>, relay=ip25050304.dynamic.kabel-deutschland.de [37.5.3.4], reject=550 5.7.1 <redacted at hotmail.com>... Relaying denied. Proper authentication required.
> Apr  9 14:51:15 mail sendmail[23945]: t39CpFjS023945: lost input channel from ip25050304.dynamic.kabel-deutschland.de [37.5.3.4] to MTA after rcpt
> Apr  9 14:51:15 mail sendmail[23945]: t39CpFjS023945: from=<redacted at domain.com>, size=0, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=SMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=ip25050304.dynamic.kabel-deutschland.de [37.5.3.4]
>
> The entered hostname correctly ends up in the /etc/mail/access file and the corresponding .db-file gets created.
>
> Does anybody know a solution to this?

I think I am not 100% clear on the situation you are describing.   Am I
correct to say that you have a BlueOnyx server that is hosted on a
dynamic IP address, but you have dynamic DNS that points your chosen
hostname(s) to it?

I would never advocate running a production server, especially one used
for email, on a dynamic IP address.  I think you may be in for more
trouble than it's worth if that is the case.   If I am understanding
your scenario correctly, then my recommendation would be to at least
institute smarthosting on the outbound email so that it will clear
through a static IP address.   Of course, you'll need a server on a
static IP address that you can use without authentication to get that done.

Or perhaps I am misunderstanding the scenario, in which case I apologize
for not being clear on the concept.

If it's simply a matter of using an email client that resides on a
dynamic IP to relay through your server which is properly on a static IP
address, then it may simply be a matter of enabling SMTP authentication
on your email client.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services