[BlueOnyx:17424] Re: Relay email problem

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Apr 14 10:01:57 -05 2015

Hi Tobias,

On 4/14/2015 9:40 AM, Tobias Gablunsky wrote:
>> If it's simply a matter of using an email client that resides on a
>> dynamic IP to relay through your server which is properly on a static IP
>> address, then it may simply be a matter of enabling SMTP authentication
>> on your email client.
>
> The client uses a software which is not able to authenticate via user/pw. But this should be no big deal - at least regarding to the gui: there you are allowed to enter hostnames. In my case I entered the hostname of my client which is a "dyndns" one.
>
> And there the problems begin I described before: address is resolved correctly (at least when I do it manually on the machine) but relaying is denied :-/

Ah, yes.   Unfortunately I think this is a matter of the configuration
of the allow relay from.   My thought is you will need to use the IP
address instead of a hostname.

The reason for this is because the relay box is putting in the hostname,
and that's fine, but it's not going to do a lookup for the A record.   I
realize that is somewhat confusing per the GUI.  We may want to get some
clarification from Michael Stauber on this functionality.   It's
possible that it does not work exactly as one may expect.

Again, when dealing with dynamic DNS, that can tend to be a tricky
proposition when it comes to email.

Therefore, I recommend you try placing the IP address in the allow relay
field and see if that fixes the trouble.   If it does, then that will at
least tell you if it is a server problem, or an issue surrounding the
DNS of the dynamic IP.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services