[BlueOnyx:17454] Re: Relaying denied

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Apr 24 14:08:29 -05 2015

Hi Fred,

On 4/24/2015 12:42 PM, Fred Bowditch wrote:
> Just wondering if we need to change something on our server or PC. We
> get these bounce backs when sending to gmail accounts.
>
> Any ideas? (Email address has been changed)

>        'XXXXXXXlds87 at gmail.com' on 4/23/2015 5:07 PM
>
>              550 5.7.1 <XXXXXXlds87 at gmail.com
> <mailto:XXXXXXlds87 at gmail.com>>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup
> failed [192.168.18.156]

It could be a number of reasons, but as Adam pointed out, the first
thing that looks odd is that there is a non-routable IP on the NDR.

Best I can tell, it looks like this server is sitting on a residential
or consumer connection (DSL or similar?) so I'm guessing you are forced
to do some NATing to make your connections.  Never an ideal setup, but
with some massaging, it can be done.  You're apparently getting some DNS
related problems here.

First thing is to make sure that your routing configured correctly.
Second is ensure that you've got good DNS on your Internet-facing IP's
(esp. a good PTR).  Then take a look at /var/log/maillog and see where
it's getting hung up.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services